How to find Cheap Flights.
If you’re looking for a cheap flight they are easy to find when you know where to look. Here are our top 10 tips on saving money on flights and finding your cheap flight.
Choose a Full Service or Budget Airline
1. For cheap flights consider a Budget Airline for short flights (be prepared to pay for meals, baggage and seats), for longer flights consider paying that bit extra for more inclusions (including meals, movies, checked baggage). Our Airlines Worldwide lists full service and budget airlines.
Decide When to Travel
2. Consider when you can travel, if it is Summer or School Holidays or a special holiday or an event then it will be busy! Be flexible and if possible travel in off season or shoulder season to get a cheaper price. Travelling on a Tuesday, Wednesday and during the day can also make flights a bit cheaper.
Use Compare Websites
3. Use Airline Compare Websites to find flights. They take the hard work out of searching and give you a range of airlines.
Book well in advance or 8 weeks prior
4. Booking at the last minute might get a deal but not always! In the majority of cases the best time to book is well in advance 7-10 months to access Earlybirds (airfares that have been reduced so the airline has good forward bookings) or 6-12 weeks when airlines are checking their loads. Airlines can only load their flights 6 -11 months in advance. If loads are low they may offer special deals.
Subscribe with your airline for offers
5. To get the latest offers – Subscribe to your chosen airline specials or join their Facebook or Twitter pages to be the first to see any deals they release. (Yes you will get lots of emails, but you may also save a few dollars.)
Sign up for Coupons or Special Deals
6. If you don’t have a chosen airline, put yourself on a Coupon Mailing list for Special offers. The best ones are run by members who see travel deals and share them with others via a daily e-mail. Set up an Alert with Airfare Watchdog to keep an eye out for the cheapest fares from your city. Or look at their 50 top Fares which are updated daily.
Go to unpopular places
7. Consider travelling to places that may not be popular (you can pick up some great bargains after natural disasters or health outbreaks and you may be able to add some volunteering to your trip).
Get a Group Together
9. Get a group together, if you have 10 or more people you can approach the airline direct or a travel agent and ask if they offer any discounts to groups! Depending on the conditions, 1 person may go free!
Take a backhaul Flight
10. Book a flight out of town when there is a large event on in your city or town (airlines generally put on extra flights for big events, so usually offer discount seats to fill the outbound flights).
Our next 10 Top Tips for Cheap Flights
11. Search Incognito or Private
12. Go direct to the airline for the best offer
13. Check for last minute upgrades
14. Watch the dollar, if it drops prices may to!
15. Use Frequent Flyer points
16. Fly with Several Airlines (join budget options together)
17. Fly into one city and out of another
18. Un-tick anything not wanted when you book
19. Buy Student Tickets (if you are a student)
20. When you see a cheap flight, book it (they go fast)
There is no magic bullet when searching for the absolute best airfare! Keep in mind airfare prices are considerably better priced than 20 years ago.