Find the best tips for Travel Money
There are a number of ways to take Travel Money overseas. Before you you decide, read up on the following tips.
Budgeting, Credit Cards, Currency Converters
Read up on Budgeting for your trip, using a Credit Card overseas and check the currency conversion.
Pocket/wallet sized Currency Converter
This very handy tool is super useful as it will give you a Currency Converter in your pocket. Use the tool to calculate your currency conversion then Print a copy before you go.
Travel Money Comparison
What is best to take? Cash, credit card, travel money cards?
Travel Money Compare
Take some cash when you travel overseas!
Advantages of Cash in Local Currency
Disadvantage of Cash
Tips * When exchanging cash overseas always check the figures and recount the money back to the teller/service person
Visa, Mastercard, American Express
Advantages of Credit Cards
Disadvantage of Credit cards
Tips * Advise your credit card company that you are travelling overseas otherwise they may cancel your card
Load and Go Travel Money Cards
Advantages of Load and Go Cards
Disadvantage of Travel Money Cards
Tips for Travel Money * Check that the card will be accepted in the country you will be visiting
Debit Cards using your own bank account
Advantages of Debit Cards
Disadvantage of Debit Cards
Tips for Debit Cards * Advise your bank you will be travelling, so they don't put a hold on the card * Link your card to a specific account that you only have a limited amount in (and transfer money over as you need it)
Advantages of Travellers Cheques
Disadvantage of Travellers Cheques
Tips for Travellers Cheques * Can be useful as a third form of travel money
TRAVEL MONEY TIPS
- Obtain some foreign cash (try your local bank they may waiver the fees or a money changer with minimal commission).
- Advise your bank you will be travelling and they won’t restrict your card while you are overseas.
- Take some of your own local currency. On arrival look for a money changer to exchange your cash (not at the airport, try in town as they are usually better).
- When changing cash always double check the amount you will receive. When you receive the cash, recount it in front of the teller to make sure it is correct.
- Load up a Travel Money Card or use a Debit Card at an ATM, the rates are generally comparable.
- Hiding cash and valuables while travelling can be an issue, Allianz provide some great ideas.
- Use ATM’s Worldwide for VISA or MASTERCARD.
- If you have some foreign currency try websites like WeSWAP