Read up on these top Travel Booking Tips
These 10 Travel Booking tips cover everything you need.
1. Book with the names, ages (if applicable) exactly as per identification/passport.
3. Use reputable Travel Companies to book with, if you are using any others that are not on this site, do a Google search and check reviews.
4. Use a credit card to pay. You may be able to get points on your card and you may have the opportunity to get a refund if the service is not provided. The exception to this is when high Credit Card fees are charged, in this case it is sometimes better to pay by paypal or via direct credit.
5. Watch out for pressure selling, this is a nifty little trick the compare websites sometimes use. When you search for the same thing several times in a compare website, they can remember and incrementally increase the price. This makes you feel pressured into purchasing. Always double check direct with the service provider (airline, hotel – you can find a listing for the direct website in Book my travel) or search the compare websites incognito or privately.
6. If you need special services on a flight such as pet transport, special meals, medical assistance, large pieces of luggage it is recommended to book direct with the airline to make sure they offer the service. Only complete the booking if you know they offer the service you need.
7. Join a frequent flyer program. Particularly the programs that give you points just for flying.
8. Use discount coupon websites or Automobile Association (AA) discounts for car hire, cruises or any attractions
9. Go right to the end of the booking process. This makes sure you know exactly what it will cost and what fees and charges are included. You don’t have to pay until you are absolutely sure it is what you want. If you don’t finish the booking with payment it just cancels out. Always check the currency and don’t pay unless you are happy with the price.
10. Watch out for opt in Travel Insurance and extra’s that you may not need and opt out of e-newsletters if you do not want them.
Travel booking tips – Use review sites, but take everything with a grain of salt!
Review sites such as TripAdvisor, booking.com and Yelp can be very helpful. But be aware that a lot more people generally put up a bad review before they put up a good one. Use these sites to determine the main criteria such as safety, comfort, quality and customer service. It is sometimes more useful to use sites like Airlineratings who offer an explanation as to reviewers issues. If a review is focused on stating how bad the service was – keep in mind that it may be one person having a bad day. Look for consistent issues, if the beds are always uncomfortable in a number of reviews, then they probably are. If a number of people have commented “the quality is exceptional”, then it probably is. Be open minded and remember, each persons travel experience can be different!
TRAVEL BOOKING TIPS TO SAVE YOU MONEY
These are some nifty little tricks that you can use to try and save even more on your trip. (Be aware they may not work all the time)
Travel Booking Tip#1 Check out our CHEAP FLIGHT TIPS
There are a number of ways to make sure you get a good value airfare.
Book My Own Travel has put together the best tips on CHEAP FLIGHTS these are definitely worth a read.
Travel Booking Tip#2 Bounce Back Deals
This works well with Car hire companies and in some cases hotels.
Go into the reservation system, complete a booking (but do not put in any payment), make sure you put in your name, email and tick the “opt in” for email offers. Then close the browser window. What this does (not always) is to prompt the system that you want the booking but you have not completed it. For this reason rather than lose you, the system may send you an email offering you a better price (but not always). If you haven’t received anything within a few days, no worries, go back into the system, search incognito or private and make the booking again.
Travel Booking Tip#3 COMPARE then go direct
This works well with airfares, hotels, tour, cruise and car hire companies
Comparison websites are great, they offer a range of options, but they are not always the cheapest. To get the best deal, use the compare websites to get a few options, then ring, email or check on line direct with the particular company and check their direct rate. Explain that you have seen a deal online on the compare websites and ask if they can offer a better rate or an upgrade or more inclusions.
Travel Booking Tip#4 Upgrade your airline ticket
Airlines are increasingly offering affordable upgrade options
Become a frequent flyer member or Airline Club member. Often these programs have partner airlines so as long as you fly with any one of these airlines you may be eligible for points. The more points you earn the more your status increases and the greater your chances of an upgrade. Also look out for an upgrade option when you make a booking, airlines, particularly in Europe and the USA may offer “last minute upgrades” or “upgrade your ticket now.” Make sure you continually check your emails before you fly as you may receive this option.
Finally, be friendly to the check in staff and ask if there are any special upgrades you can purchase at the airport (you may not get a free one but it might be an affordable option). They can only say Yes or No.